Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.

how does shared parenting affect child support

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Child support determinations are set by a court or administrative order. Ohio uses an income shares child support guideline that considers, among other factors:

• the income of both parents
  • the work/education related child care expenses incurred by either parent
  • the standard of living the child would have had if the family were intact
  • the cost of medical care, including insurance

So you can see, shared parenting is not dispositive of child support. However, to the extent that the judge finds the parenting agreement relevant, if may be a factor considered in the child support order.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand the part ( to the extent that the judge finds the parenting agreement relevant) could you please clarify thanks
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Sure. No problem.

The judge has the discretion to determine how relevant the parenting agreement is in determining child support.

In fact, in exercising judicial discretion, the court may not use the guideline recommended support when the parties have shared parenting. Only after a court has made a determination of what should be paid can it deviate from that amount if it finds that the guideline recommended amount "would be unjust or inappropriate to the children or either parent and would not be in the best interests of the child..." considering the shared parenting agreement.

Please let me know if I ma not being clear, I am happy to provide an alternative explanation.