Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

How do I go about reporting bigamy

Customer Question

How do I go about reporting bigamy?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Bigamy is a criminal offense so it would need to be reported to the police and/or the district attorneys office. Below are the criminal statutes for your review.

18-6-201. Bigamy.

(1) Any married person who, while still married, marries or cohabits in this state with another commits bigamy, unless as an affirmative defense it appears that at the time of the cohabitation or subsequent marriage:

(a) The accused reasonably believed the prior spouse to be dead; or

(b) The prior spouse had been continually absent for a period of five years during which time the accused did not know the prior spouse to be alive; or

(c) The accused reasonably believed that he was legally eligible to remarry.

(2) Bigamy is a class 6 felony.

function RedirectUrl(strRealPath, strLookFor, strResolve) { //alert("Calling RedirectUrl"); strCurrentLocation='' + window.location; nQueryIndex=strCurrentLocation.indexOf("?"); if(nQueryIndex!=-1) { strQuery=strCurrentLocation.substr(nQueryIndex, strCurrentLocation.length); } else { strQuery=""; } //alert(strQuery + 'Location is ' + strCurrentLocation + "Real path is " + strRealPath + " and lookfor is " + strLookFor + " " + strCurrentLocation.length + " and strResolve is " + strResolve); strNewLocation=''; iReplaceAt=strCurrentLocation.indexOf(strLookFor); //alert("IReplaceAt is " + iReplaceAt); iReplaceAt=iReplaceAt-1; strNewLocation=strCurrentLocation.substr(0, iReplaceAt); //alert("strNewLocation is " + strNewLocation); strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strRealPath; strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strResolve; strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strQuery; //alert('New location is ' + strNewLocation); self.location=strNewLocation; }

18-6-202. Marrying a bigamist.

Any unmarried person who knowingly marries or cohabits with another in this state under circumstances known to him which would render the other person guilty of bigamy under the laws of this state commits marrying a bigamist, which is a class 2 misdemeanor.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for that answer. My next question is, what do I need to do when I go to report this? What information do I need to have?
First, sorry for that computer gibberish that posted, seems like a program glitch.

You need to establish the elements as set forth in the statute. You would be asked how do you know they are still married, how do you know if they have married the new person, where they made any admissions to you about them still being married. The police/DA would then be able to pull marriage records to confirm what you have told them, unless you already have the records for them to review.