RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My husband divorced through a private mediation, and agreed ...

My husband divorced through a private mediation, and agreed to alimony payments for his ex based upon his income at that time. Since then his income has dramtically decreased, so he''s making monthly payments of half the amount. She now is threatening to garnish his wages. The agreement was " non- modifiable". She makes almost as much as he does! Is there anything that he can do? He has never missed a payment, but he really cannot afford double the amount. She lives in Florida, and we live in South Carolina. We cannot afford to go to Florida and get an attourney.
Thanks for your question. Yes you can file supplimental petition to end alimony here. It is real common in Florida. You would return to the same place where the edcree was entered. Ther are usually preprinted forms at teh courthouse that you fill in when filing.

You are not alone here. As I stated above it is real common. You just try and argue diminished income here. The cout pretty much has total discretion here to decide the matter. It is a no loose situation. You would have to travel to Florida for a hearing on your motion. I wish you good luck. Here below is instructions and form--you want (12.905)c) here..

http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/905c.pdf

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.