rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
3071004

I live in NY and my wife wants me to leave the house, ...

Customer Question

I live in NY and my wife wants me to leave the house, should I go or would this be considered abandonment
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.

In NY, abandonment for 1 or more years is a ground for divorce among others. You can leave and move back in before the year is up if you don't want that to be the grounds. But In NY the grounds are immaterial. The issues to be concerned about is property division; support; child support, custody, etc.

So the ultimate answer to your question is that it really has no ramifications.

Rich