JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

my 16 yr. old son visits his Aunt every summer, ...

my 16 yr. old son visits his Aunt every summer, however this summer he has asked that he be given the opportunity to remain in Pennsylvannia and attend a public school up there. The father and I have joint custody and we both have agreed to let our son remain with his Aunt, just throughout the school year and then go from there. Neither the father nor myself are at all, wanting to give custody to the Aunt but ONLY allow her to place him in the home school based on Aunt''s & his temporary address but not quite sure how to put it in writing. We are also allowing his Aunt to have him medically treated, but under all circumstances any & all decisions, especially in an emergency situation(ex. life or death situation)father & I be contacted immediately and make final decision as to how such situation is to be handled. We would like this to be on a contigent basis, should our son change his mind.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 years ago.
The best solution is to have the court enter an order but that doesn't sound like what you want to do so that lets out a standard custody arrangement as well as any type of formal guardianship.

The next best solution is to try a Power of Attorney and see if that will work. This is a form that can be downloaded from the internet although you would be better off getting an attorney to draw one up that is specifically aimed at your needs. This gives the aunt the power to act for you in certain ways. One would be in determining the child's residence. Another would be in the ability to make medical decisions, etc. Some schools are reluctant to allow this but it is certainly an option I would try.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
father and i can't just type something up w/specifics and have it notarized
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 years ago.
You can try but it doesn't have any real legal effect and doctors and hospitals can refuse treatment (if it is not an emergency), schools don't have to recognize it, etc. Definitely not what any lawyer would recommend.