How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37691
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a man who does not feel I have any rights when it ...

Customer Question

I am a man who does not feel I have any rights when it comes to my 3 yr old son. His mother is on drugs, lives with her mother who is the guardian. I have a court order stating that I get supervised visitation only because I live with my girlfriend. How can I get more rights for my son when she keeps getting away through the courts with everything. I can''t afford thousands of dollars for an attorney to keep taking her back to court? Help me find someone that will stand up for my rights as a father.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Here's the deal. Most parents are unwilling to do what it takes to get substantial custody, once it's been removed from them.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the judge in your case is the only one you will have, unless he/she retires or gets sick, etc. So, when the judge makes an unfavorable order, it means that he/she is sending you a message. You may not like the message, and you may not think it's fair, and it may not be fair...but, if you don't hear the message you will never get anywhere, because family law, frankly, is the place where rationality, common law and the Constitution of the United States all go to die.

Family court judges are stuck with a system that is not intended to deal with people's emotional problems. Nor are judges great Oracles who can predict the future of a child.

But, they are told by the legislatures to "figure it out," and then they're left to their own devices.

What I'm getting at here is that, unless you have HUGE financial resources, fighting with a family law judge's decision may as well be fighting with the ocean tide: you either learn to surf the waves or you will be drowned beneath them.

So, if the judge won't let you have visitation because you're living with your girlfriend, then guess what the answer to your problem is?

Right. Move into your own pad, so that's no longer an issue. Or, marry your girfriend and establish a conventional home.

Don't like those answers? Then, my friend, you're not listening to the tide, and you will just tread water until you sink into the abyss.

If you need a cheap lawyer, you'll need to check out your state bar association's pro bono programs or the legal aid society, or maybe a law school in your area who has students in an extern program.

Family law attorneys are not cheap, so thinking that someone will just jump to rescue you is, well, once again, not listening to the tide.

You can learn to "do it yourself," but it takes a lot of time and effort, so if you're not prepared to do that, then you're back to square one: Do exactly what the judge says and your situation will improve -- otherwise it won't.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37691
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But how can the mother get away with failing drug test after drug test and get a slap on the wrist, I don't get to see my son. It states in the court order that if the grandmother does not return my calls for visitation then she is in violation of the court order. Who in the heck do you go to to tell the judge she is in violation. The mother calls the father back but she has no parental rights and does it to just be mean to him. The grandmother don't even call him back to give him an explaination. The judge never said anything about my girlfriend, it is basically the grandmother and the mother who has a problem with it. We have asked for a home study to be done, Also asked for the grandmother to come over and check out the house so that I can have visitation with my son. I feel like this is a never ending battle and all she is going to do is win win win. I don't do drugs anymore and have straightened up my life, I don't get to see my son, she gets to keep doing drugs, gets a slap on the wrist and gets to see her son everyday. How can this be.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

I swear, I could have written that response for you -- I've heard it so many times before.

You're not listening to me. It doesn't matter how the mother can get away with it. What matters is that YOU CANNOT GET AWAY WITH IT, because the judge has told you so by making orders adverse to your wishes.

You have to fix YOUR situation first, and then, when you're s*** don't stink, you can start name calling against your opponent.

This is not the forum for me to give you a continuing lecture. You will have to decide what you want more -- time with your kids or the continuation of your relationship with your girlfriend under the same roof (unless she's your spouse).

Can't have both -- so get over it.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions