Mike, Lawyer
Experience:  Family law experience and many years of legal analysis and research

I am currently receiving spousal support from my ...

I am currently receiving spousal support from my ex-husband.I have 7 years left. I just became engaged. I was sondering if I get spiritual married and not legally married and still keep my support.

Or if I could offer my ex-husband 1 year off from next 7 years can the agreement be worded so I can legal get married and keep the rest of the 6 year.

If I need to I can set-up an appointment to come in to speak to you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Well, this would cause a problem, if you legally get married you would absolutley loose the support, and if you do this other type of service you might loose the support, as the former spouse can argue you are revcieving spousal support based on fraud, deception and/or trying to recieve support while being cohabitating and holding yourself out as being married, going threw the service, and jointly paying or recieving assets, funds etc. I would say, if you are gonna get married, advise the other party, so that you don't find yourself in front of a judge on contempt charges.