How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 111634
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i write my own written answer when served a divorce ...

Resolved Question:

how do i write my own written answer when served a divorce citation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You copy the heading as it appears in the Petition for Divorce. Then, instead of Complaint or Petition, you title your document "Answer."

Then you follow the complaint and number each answer to correspond with the numbers in the complaint. For each answer, you answer "admit," "deny," "insufficient information to admit or deny." After that, if you have any defenses to the allegations such as improper service or improper venue you put them in a section at the end titled "Affirmative Defenses." If not, then you sign your answer and put in your contact information and have it notarized. Then you add in a section titled "Certificate of Service" and put in the date and person you sent a copy to, usually the petitioner's attorney if they have one or if not the petitioner. Sign that, file it with the clerk's office and get a stamped copy from the clerk and mail a copy to the other party.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: so the title should be "Answer to First Ameded Petition for Divorce"? and do i need to elaborate on the admit, deny, and insufficient information or
does that suffice?   and what is improper service and improper venue?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
No need to elaborate on your answers. As far as improper service or venue or other defenses you may have, those mean that you were not properly served or the complaint is not filed in the right court and you only need to allege those if you want to oppose the divorce. Generally, in divorces there are not many affirmative defenses used. You can also file a "Counterclaim" for divorce, meaning you have your own grounds. To file a "Counterclaim" you place that section under your defenses or answer and follow the same format as the original complaint and then allege your own grounds.