How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39536
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in need of opeining a paternity case for

Resolved Question:

My son is in need of opeining a paternity case for visitation and custody. We live in Fairfield, California and the child is in Austin, Texas. What are the steps we need to take to begin this action.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I'm assuming that the child support case here was filed in Austin, Texas by the mother. If so then you would file for visitation here in Austin, Texas.

Because of distance you are probably going to need a lawyer here to file and represent you in the matter. The lawyer can get you court ordered visitation. If he was unmarried then the court also declares him the legal father. The father here may either have to travel to visit if it is young child or the court decides how to deal with this,

The State Bar of Texas has a Lawyer Referral Service. They give you a 1/2 hour consultation for $20. they will review the matter and discuss fees and visitation options with you here. I wish you good luck..
RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you