RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I have been going through a divorce now for over a year and ...

I have been going through a divorce now for over a year and I''am feeling like I''am getting no where with my lawyer. She keeps telling me to always give in to my ex so I look like the better person and now he''s taking me to examanations and I''am tired of being the good person I feel like "for what" we do have a 2 year old child involved and a house together that he wont settle cause he doesn''t believe I should get any money from the house. I had a vehicle when I met him we sold it and he bought me a Suv, I have ended up in the end with no vehicle for over a year now and he has 3. I also have a child from before who has special needs and my lawyer is well awhare of that, and we spend alot of time at the hospital with him. My question is can I contact another lawyer and discuss my case and see if my lawyer is doing the most she can for me? I was told if I switched lawyers this far in the judge is not happy with it and it looks bad on me for changing lawyers? Thank you!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You always have the right to hire an fire your lawyer anywhere and anytime. If you feel like you need a second consultation then do so. You pay the second lawyer his hourly rate for consultation and then decide if you want to fire the first one.

Judge's do not penalize people for having professional differences with their lawyer. As long as you are diligent about hiring the second one then you will be fine. The court usually allows the new one some time to come up to speed on your case.

Lawyers are like doctors. Sometimes you just don't mesh for whatever reason and you change. I would urge you to at least consult a second one and allow him to review the pleadings and see what you think then and then decide.