AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.

I live in Texas, and my daughter lives in New York. She ...

I live in Texas, and my daughter lives in New York. She wants me to keep her 13 yr old daughter here. Would we have to go to court about this, and if so in which state?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

So long as your daughter is not violating any court order to the contrary (ie. visitation to non-custodial dad, or custody already in dad) and/or so long as there is not a father of the child that enjoys visitation or custody without Court Order, who would immediately file a motion to get the child back to NY, there is no reason I can see why your daughter can not have her child go to spend some time with the grandparent. I do recommend that she provide you with the right, in writing, to make basic emergency medical decisions for the child, as mom won't be there to do so. Also, when you seek to put the child in school in TX, the school may require documentation from mom regarding the childs residency in TX in order that the child can go to school there.

Enjoy your granddaughter!

I hope you have found this information informative. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and so that I may receive credit for same from the company and so that you receive appropriate site recognition for accepting expert answers in a timely fashion. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need to follow up or don't understand an answer, please feel free to follow up with me! In addition, if you have future legal questions, please feel free to ask me directly by including my name "Stephanie Joy" in the body of your subject.

Stephanie Joy

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back, so never fear.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is a via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.