Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

If my ex wife gets the permisssion from the court to move ...

If my ex wife gets the permisssion from the court to move 300 miles away with the kids. Who pays for the kids to visit me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

There is no single answer to your question of who pays.

Your ex will be required to show the court that her relocation and modification of custody is in the best interest of the child. Typically to succeed in her motion she will need to fashion a modification to custody that will permit you to foster your relationship with the children. You can ask the court for her to pay the cost of the travel for this purpose.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FLAandNYLawyer's Post: So even if she has sole custody , she will still have to show the court that it is in the best interest for the kids that she moves, her move will not be a straight forward thing and the cost of the visitation has to be decided, based on my request? There is not fixed rule?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

You are absolutely correct.

You will need to impress upon the court that you want to have a relationship with your children and your ex wants to move them away from you. You can request that she pay for the children to visit you and for longer periods of time - ie, summer vacation, school breaks, some weekends. This should also be grounds for a downward modification in support since the children would be spending more time with you.

I hope that this helps you.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.