Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

This is a domestic case against me and I have been under ...

This is a domestic case against me and I have been under restraining orders for the last month, as of yesterday the court has allowed me to go to my home of 6 years during the absence of my husband. My husband inflicted his own wonds to get me in this situation and feels he has all the rights to our household items. Since I am allowed to have access to my home and need items for a new place for me and my daughter am I allowed to take some furniture. We have a 4 bedroom home and there is plenty of items for both of us. The items I am taking were given to me by friends and the the TV I won. I have filed for a divorce but in the past my husband has taken all of the house items and put them in a storage where I could not get them and did not know where they were. What are my rights for possision of common property.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Absent a Court Order to the contrary, you have an equal right to the marital property as your husband does.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So I understand I may get some items from my home. Is this for california law? My orders say damage real or personal property I just want to make sure this doesn't mean that I can not take my items.