Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.

i live in forsyth county, ga. my sister gave me temporary ...

i live in forsyth county, ga. my sister gave me temporary custody of my niece and i have a notorized letter from her regarding said custody. the school just informed me i have to have a letter from probate court before i can register her for school. my sister lives in south ga and i''m in north ga. school starts in 1 week. i''ve had her twice before in ga and no problems enrolling her. is this a new law or can i push for her enrollment?

Thank you for your question.

Generally an educational institution will require proof of guardianship or custody before they will allow a child to be enrolled in school. It is left to the discretion of the school as to what form of documentation they require; however, legally they have the right (and have had the right) to ensure that they obtain proper documentation from the court system to ensure that legal guardianship has been conferred upon you.

If you go into the court on and ex parte (emergency unnoticed) motion, you should be able to obtain your letter in time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Law Girl's Post: but if i don't have the ability to go to court - my sister lives in south ga and my work schedule is extremely crazy, can they keep her from going to school?
Yes, they can prevent you from registering her in school.