Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

what do i do

My oldest daughter's child support just ended because she graduated high school. She's going to college for two years full time and I still have to support her with limited disability income. I can't afford to make my kids' medical bill/medication payments as a result. My ex-husband was supposed to be responsible for 50% of the medical bills after a $250 deductible per child. This would have been higher had I had representation at my last support hearing, since I'm finding that the percentage is usually based proportionate to income. His income is much higher. He has threatened to have my child support lowered for the past five years if I pursued him for the medical expenses he owes, because he's paying a little higher than what the court was originally going to order him to pay. I had no representation at my support hearing. His jerk lawyer and friend, which costs him nothing, is willing to do whatever my ex wishes. What do i do? I'm so stuck
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
In general, once child support is set based on his income level, it is not easily get reduced just because he was paying a little higher. The court will only reduce child support if his current financial status has dropped from the last court hearing. If his income has remained the same, the judge will not reduce his support obligations.

He is in contempt of court for failing to comply with his share of the medical expenses. You can force him to comply with the order by filing a motion for contempt. You can also let the judge know that he has threatened to lower support payments in retaliation for filing the motion for contempt. Judge's frown upon the misusing of the legal system to control another person's rights. The judge will not permit such behavior if informed.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I forgot to ask whether I need to go to philadelphia to file the motion since the order originated there, where we used to live, or if I can go through the county where my children and I live in now, which is montgomery county. Thanks for your help!
Glad to be of help.

You would need to return to the county where the original order was issued (in Philadelphia) as that county continues to have proper jurisdiction. If dad is no longer a resident of Philadelphia you can elect to file in the county where dad is now a resident. Proper jurisdiction for child support is where the court can take jurisdiction on the paying parent.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator