socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I have a restraining order against my husband, we are going ...

I have a restraining order against my husband, we are going through a divorce, i am guilty of responding to a few of his texts, but i really want him to leave me alone, he texted if i call the cops i will be arrested also for responding to his texts, we have three children together and he says really nasty things about them. I just want to be left alone and move on with my life. Is he right if i try to get the harrassing to stop will i get violated for responding to him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If you have the restraining order, then he can't contact you. You can contact him all you want, however, each time you do, depending upon the character of the contact, you may be providing evidence that the restraining order is no longer necessary and should be set aside.

However, based on your posted facts, it appears that the restraining order "is" necessary, so if he's bothering you, and the precise form of the harassment is prohibited by the restraining order, then you can call the police and your husband will be arrested. If the form of harassment is not prohibited, then you will need to go back to court and have the orders modifed so as to close the loophole.