RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

What is the law on child abandonment in Maryland.

What is the law on child abandonment in Maryland. My husband has not heard from his 12 year olds mother in over a month. They have joint custody, and she is suppose to have the custodial rights for him. She allowed him to live with us for the school year last year as long as we continued to pay child support. She apparantly is using drugs and in an abusive relationship. We have no idea what her address is and have no way of getting a hold of her.
Thanks for your question. Abandonment is a ground here and would apply. You have good facts and termination would appear in the child's best interest here. This has been a serious period of non contact here and in my mind mother is uncapable of being a parent to this child.

You may need to obtain alwyer here to file and represent here. you have a good set of facts here to proceed to termination. I wish you good luck.

Here is reference below for you as well..

http://library.adoption.com/termination-of-parental-rights/grounds-for-termination-of-parental-rights-maryland/article/8533/1.html