How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33671
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I do hope this is the right place for this ...

Customer Question

Hello. I do hope this is the right place for this question. I just graduated from high school in May, and turned 18 in June 2008, and hopefully will go to college this fall. The problem is that dad remarried, and although I have am a fairly good kid, he no longer wants me in his house, even though I do not have a regular job. I am currently babysitting this summer, but will not earn enough money to support myself. I was looking forward to attending Longview Community college which is very close to dad''s house where I live in Grandview, MO. Can my dad just throw me and my clothes out of the house at age 18? THanks, CB
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. The short answer here is unfortunately yes. You are considered an adult here. You are basically a guest in his house. He can ask you like any guest to leave.

You live here at his dsicretion once you became an adult. I think it is in your best interest here to see if you can make peace here. You have limited funds and your education is your way to independence. I wish you good luck here and I wish that I had better news..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33671
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
RayAnswers and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Thank you for the quick response. I guess I will have to find out the details of the divorce, because I was told that dad has to pay for my insurance until I was 21 as long as I was in school. He allowed my 20 yr old brother to stay through this summer until he transfers to the dorm in August. I just thought I would be be doing the same thing going to community college first and getting my undergrad credits. I just didn't know he would throw us out when he got a new wife...
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.

You know I want to add some more here. If you are enrolled in college here he may very well have a duty to support you under Missouri law. Both your father and your mother would share this responsibility here.

He may very well not be able to just kick you to the curb. This might be separate from his ability to ask you to leave his house. He still has the duty to provide for you here if you are enrolled in college. My sympathy to you here...


Child support may be required after the age of majority if the child enrolls in college or vocational school by October 1 following high school graduation, support may continue until age 22 or when his/her education is completed if the child:

  1. Enrolls for and completes at least 12 hours of credit each semester;
  2. Achieves grades sufficient to re-enroll at the institution; and
  3. At the beginning of each semester, submits to each parent a transcript or similar official document provided by the college or vocational school which includes the courses the child is enrolled in and has completed for each term, the grades and credits received and the courses the child is enrolled in for the coming term.
A court may waive the October 1 deadline for enrollment. The twelve-hour requirement may also be waived if a child has a physical or learning disability or a diagnosed health problem that prevents him/her from taking 12 credit hours or a child is working at least
5 hours per week and taking as few as 9 credit hours per semester.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to thank you for adding the extra info for support, as it does give a little hope... I wish I had more funds, but as you can tell, I really am limited for the moment. Is there any resources for this research that I can show to my father? Otherwise i can only hope to find some lawyer locally to help IF the college clause is for real. I hope this reply\question makes sense? Thanking you in advance for your consideration and time. CBs.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.

Remember that your mother could seek support for you here for college if you are going to enroll. She could pay this to you or pay for college tuition, etc...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you again... You have been most gracious for replying to all of my queries.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. I like missouri a lot, it has some pretty country. I have relatives around Jeff City. It's alot like Austin here, a college town with a lot of bars and night life. Take care..

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions