RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

What is Contratual Alimony Does it mean that the

Customer Question

What is Contratual Alimony? Does it mean that the ex-husband can over rule the ex-wife dicissions after the divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. In Texas there are two kinds of alimony. The first contractual alimony means the parties agree that one pays it. The second called court ordered maintenance is where the court orders it paid and is more limited under the law.

Contractual alimony is strictly something the parties agree to by contract or decree. It is not based on the court awarding it, but rather it is a voluntary thing entered into by the parties to settle a divorce.

Cout ordered maintenace is where the court having looked at the parties, length of marriage, diversity of income, etc. decides that court ordered maintenance or payments are required. This is more limited in time and duration and may be for the purpose of say letting a house spouse have the funds to look for employment or retraining if one party has been out of the workforce.

I am attaching a web page here for your reference that has more Texas law and information for your reference here.

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Can my ex-husband control dicissions that I make during the contratural Alimony duration?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Can my ex-husband control discissions that I make during the contratural Alimony duration?
Well contractual means that you have to agree to it. Really it is a private thing that the courts don't get involved here. It's primarily used in situations where both parties know that the court is going to award some maintenace if they dont' agree to something. The length of time os up for negotiation as well here. You obviously want as long as possible. The longer the marriage and/or the greater the fault then in my mind the longer the alimony..