RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My daughter turns 18 in August, but will not graduate H.S.

Customer Question

My daughter turns 18 in August, but will not graduate H.S. until May 2009. We live in Tennessee. Her father has promised to ''give'' her the child support money if she will come live with him when she turns 18 (this has been an ongoing theme since our divorce in 1996). It is not in her best interest to live with him (he alienated our older daughter) and we think and hope that she will change her mind and want to come back home soon. Would the court modify the visitation and child support at his request, since I really can''t ''force'' her to live here after she turns 18?   Any suggestions on what to say to her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Tennessee

Termination of support at 18, unless child is still in high school, in which case support terminates on graduation

No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.
See also Nash v. Mulle, 846 S.W.2d 803 (Tenn. 1993).

As you can see here the age child support ends is 18. There is no duty to pay for college unless it is agreed upon by the parties. Custody/visitation and the right to choose where to live all ends at 18 here. She would be an adult...

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.