Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

There is no official custody between the father and i- We ...

There is no official custody between the father and i- We will be going through a custody determination starting now. Can i enroll my daughter into a school of my choice without his consent?
Absent any court orders which limit or restrict your rights, you are free to enroll the child. The issue may be raised once the custody proceedings take place, but at the present moment there is nothing that should stop you from enrolling the child.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Would that be something thay could hold against me once we go to court?
No, since there are no custody orders in place. In general the parent who has primarily taken care of the child is considered the parent who is able to make the decision on enrolling the child. In addition, in an unmarried situation the mother is considered to have primary legal rights until such time as the court gives the father rights to make these decision.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Thank you very much for your the information- i really appreciate it!- Does Colorado have any restrictions on choosing to keep my daughter at my house and not allow her to go back to her dads until court?- Or would that not be ok?
Thank you for your patiences while I was researching the Colorado statutes. There are no provisions which prevent you from keeping your child pending the custody hearing. In general since there are no court orders in place you are under no legal obligations to release the child over to dad. However, any restrictions can be used against you as he can argue that you are attempting to alienate the child from him. If the father poses no risk of harm to the child and you are not concern that he will remove her from the state, he should be allowed to see his child.

Below is the Colorado statute on the factors the judge will review in a custody case for your review.

14-10-124. Best interests of child.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no problem at all- i highly appreciate your time:) I have one more question is that ok?- I just wanted to mention that my daughter has shhown up at school with scratches on her arms, and the school has filed this through social services. the first time they would not accept the case, the second time has been filed, and we have not heard back from them. Would this be cause to keep her at my house, without worrying about a possible argument for alienation?
Is the father being blamed for the scratches?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No actually its his wife. he was being blamed for smacking her on the first account of filing through social services.
When was the last time his wife did this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
During the end of the school year, May 2008. She is unaware of the fact that i know. I have to leave work in about five minutes, i will be back again on friday 7:30am-5:30pm. Thank you so much for your time:) Just in cae i dont answer until friday again. Have a nice evening:)
Thank you for your accept.

The parent has the legal right to protect their child from a risk of harm or potential risk of harm. Usually the harm should be current, given that one month has lapse that is not necessary an urgent need to protect, especially if the child has been allowed to continue visiting following the May 2008 events.

Hope this answers your question. Have a great evening.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it has thank you very much!
You are welcome. All the best.