Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I am a 23 year old male in WV. Would I be in violation ...

I am a 23 year old male in WV. Would I be in violation of any WV laws if I were to hold an intimate relation with a 17 year old female (also in WV)? With or without her parental consent. I know the WV age of consent is 16, but I don''t understand what that allows.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
The age of consent means that you cannot be charged with statutory rape because she is 16 and is consenting to the intimate relationship. You can still be charged for a sexual assault if she does not consent to having sex. But if it is consentual then you cannot be prosecuted for statutory rape.

The age of consent only has to do with avoiding a statutory rape charge.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.