Mike, Lawyer
Experience:  Family law experience and many years of legal analysis and research
10487858

I have a 9 year old son. His mother and I were never ...

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old son. His mother and I were never married. We split up 3 years ago. I provide the home that they live in, vehicle and auto insurance for her, as well as all living utilities (electricity, gas, water, etc.). We previously agreed that our son would spend every other weekend with me (we live less than 2 miles from each other), and I have him During the evenings on Tuesdays & Thursdays. This past Father''s Day, my son''s mother told me that I couldn''t see our son anymore because she and I can''t communicate. She will not answer my calls and I still have not seen my son. What should I do to have my visitation with my son mandated?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
You need to file a petition for custody nad/or visitation, as the court does not care if you and her cannot get along, they only care about what is in the best interest of the child. If you have an agreement (written) attach a copy with the petition for visitation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Is it possible to obtain a legal custody/ visitation order without a trial or hearing?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Yes, but if the other party contests it, the answer woud be no, then there would be a hearing.