Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

IF you have custody of a child and the father refuses to ...

IF you have custody of a child and the father refuses to cooperate as in communication when the child is with him, answering the phone or having the child call back when you call him and leave a message to let you know if the child is with him. do you have a recourse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
if the current court orders provide an arrangement for contact then any violations of those court terms can be enforced by filing a motion for contempt, otherwise he is only required to do as the court order says. In the alternative you would have to file for a change in the parenting arrangement to either allow liberal contact at any time or a set schedule which he will be obligated to follow.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: So, he can take the child, and I am unaware of the whereabouts or the activities, and does not have to communicate to me that he has the child or where he is taking the child?

So do I call the police?
Both of you are bound by the court orders and its terms. Whether he needs to tell you were he is at, depends on the terms of your court orders or what you agreed in your mediation arrangement. He like you are only bound to what is court ordered. If you want more restrictions then you would need to return to court and change the orders.

The police will only get involved if he has kidnapped the child or is interfering with your custodial rights (as ordered by the court orders). Otherwise, the police does not like to get involved in custody cases which are civil issues not criminal in nature.