Christian
Christian, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  CA licensed attorney since 1995. Practice limited to family law.
10847729

My husband and I want to get the legal custody of my 13 ...

My husband and I want to get the legal custody of my 13 year old great nephew. The child is very accustomed to us and this is his wish. His mother is also in aggreement with this due to her economic status. However, because she has other children she is afraid of loosing the welfare benefits. We want to have the legal custody to be able to make decisions about his education, health and travel.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christian replied 6 years ago.

Hello Betty,

You need to contact an attorney or represent yourself and do a guardianship of the child. If his mother consents, it should not be a difficult process. You do not state anything in your question about the father, but it is likely he will need to consent as well, or you will have to make efforts to find and notify him.

If his mother won't consent due to the welfare issue, you can attempt to continue without her consent or work something out with her.

Good luck!

Christian, Family Law Attorney
Experience: CA licensed attorney since 1995. Practice limited to family law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Christian's Post: what is the difference between legal guardianship and legal custody?
Expert:  Christian replied 6 years ago.

Hi Betty,

In most states "guardianship" is essentially equivalent to "custody"; the custodian/guardian makes decisions about and for the child, is responsible for the child, can authorize medical treatment, etc etc. Sometimes guardianship is given to a non-relative whereas custody is given to a biological parent.

Although there are some minor differences, "guardianship" generally means the same thing as custody: a package which includes all the rights, duties and responsibilities of a parent.

There are minor exceptions and variations here and there- in some states "custody" may not include authority over the child's estate (i.e. their property) whereas unqualified "guardianship" does. This kind of thing can vary depending upon the state the child resides in.

Hope this helps!