How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13250
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex husband has threatend to take me to court again over ...

Resolved Question:

my ex husband has threatend to take me to court again over the kids, how can i top his threats??? also he is not the biological father of my eldest but i had his name added (under presure from him) in the first year of marriage. he says he has parental responsiblity because he''sbeen in my son''s life 4 over 6 years, is thi true. also how can i make sure that if i die whilst all my children are minors how can i keep them together with my husband as my ex has said he will take them. thanks zoe
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.

Dear Zoe,

I'm so sorry for your troubles regarding these domestic issues with the kids' father. Custody/visitation and all of that can cause so many disruptions, and stress. Try to hang in there!

Unfortunately, you likely can not prevent him from venting that he will take an issue back to court, if he feels that things are not going properly, or if he feels that you are not abiding by Divorce/Settlement agreement (even if you are, if he does not perceive it that way). If you know you are abiding by your obligations, I recommend just ignoring his comments, and they may just stop. Going to court is a bit of a hastle and he probably would prefer not to. If you are not abiding by your court ordered obligations (perhaps, you feel, justifiable not, or you are actually unable to do so), you may want to consider going back to court to get try to get those obligations reducesd or changed to be more workable - this would prevent you from being in contempt of the existing court order.

From your statement, it appears that you had his name put on your eldest child's birth certificate, is that correct? If this involved an under oath statement that you knew to be false, please be careful with regard to this issue, so as not to cause more trouble for yourself.

If you were to pass away (gosh forbid!), their father, being their only parent, would likely succeed in getting full custody. He is the father and short of him being deemed an unfit father, the step-father would take a second seat.

Hang in there! I know your children may be young and so it seems this ongoing unpleasant interaction with the father may go on and on and on, there is a light to the end of the tunnel when they become of age. If you can be as amicable as possible and let the insignificant (even if unfair) things roll off your shoulders, it may be easier to deal with until you legally don't have to anymore. Here is to that day!

I hope this has been helpful. If informative and/or helpful, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button in order that it is recognized as such and I receive the appropriate credit. It is greatly appreciated, as is positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES.


Stephanie Joy, Esq.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.'s Post: can i take it to court as when we divorced there was no orders made? is he right in saying that he has pr to my eldest coz he has been round for more than 6 years. what would be the reprocusions for the birth certificate issue. it waas him who wanted to get it done and piled the presure on til i cracked as i was in a very violent previous relationhip which resulted in my eldest son being born.
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.


You indicate that there were no Orders made at the time of the Divorce. This would be very unusual, if no Orders of any kind regarding the children were made. Who has legal/physical custoday - does it say in the Divorce degree/judgement? Do you mean that visitation was simply described as "to be decided between the parties in a reasonable fashion" or something to that effect? In any event, if you want to get the visitation more set in stone, yes, you can certainly make an application to the Court for that. Once it is so ordered, be sure to stick to it, so you won't have to be in court again on that. By 'parental responsibility' he may referring to a moral obligation he feels. In addition, you may be interested to know that at times, step-parents or other individuals who have put themselve in a parent-type relation with the child to such an extent and for such a time that they are just like the parent, can be held to be responsible for such obligations as child support (if they are now the non-custodial parent).

As for the birth certificate issue, the answer is more of a potential criminal nature.

I hope you have found this information informative. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciates. Positive "FEEDBACK" and bonuses are also appreciated.


Stephanie Joy

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13250
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
AlexiaEsq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions