Christian, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  CA licensed attorney since 1995. Practice limited to family law.

Whats the chances of getting longer alimony

Customer Question

What''s the chances of getting longer alimony than 1 year at 2500.00 per month ---from a spouse that has never allowed me to work for 33 years & then made me homeschool for 25 plus years plus have 6 children.   What''s reasonable request?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christian replied 8 years ago.

I'd say you have a good chance as far as the term of the alimony but the amount of the alimony depends on your husband's income level, your abililty to be self supporting and other factors. Hard to say what is reasonable without looking at that and other factors in your divorce.

If you consult a local attorney they can give an idea of what is reasonable in your specific situation.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just don't know how to find a good lawyer that would walk me through that well & not leave me hanging with more debt than I need.
Expert:  Christian replied 8 years ago.

Hi again,

Call the local bar association in your area and explain your situation. They can direct you to an attorney who will be able to help you. And yes - you are correct - divorce can be an expensive process, but if you speak to the attorney beforehand, they can take steps towards controlling the costs.

Good luck!