Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I adopted my daughter in 2004 and divorced her mother in ...

Customer Question

I adopted my daughter in 2004 and divorced her mother in 2006. After her divorce settlement she still failed to get employment thus allowed her to stay in my home in 2007 til Jan 2008 when enough was enough. She has applied for child support but what are my options when it comes to custody itself. I hate to pay child support for a child i dont get to see or have any influence over.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Since you adopted the child, you have the same rights as any other parent to custody. You can file for custody of the child, just as she has a right to seek child support from you. Unfortunately, the courts will order you to pay support even when they do not give you custody or visitation. The courts do favor shared/joint custody arrangements based upon the best interest of the child. You will have to go to court and prove that based upon your past relationship with the child it is in the best interest of the child to continue that relationship.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.