Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My sister resides in Georgia and she doesnt work and has ...

My sister resides in Georgia and she doesnt work and has not worked during the term of the marriage. She is potentially seeking a divorce and he is claiming that Georgia has not alimony requirement currently. I think he is misinformed or simply lying. They have two kids and a home......I say she can seek alimony and child support....he has become mentally abusive towards her. Can you shed some light on this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.

Her husband is greatly mistaken on his assertions. All states permit the request for spousal support. Spousal support is not automatically granted it is determined on a case by case basis on the financial needs of the spouse asking for spousal support and the ability of the other spouse to pay it.

Below is the Georgia law on this to show him it is possible to collect support.

§ 19-6-1. Alimony defined; when authorized; how determined; lien on estate of party dying prior to order; certain

If the link does not work for you you can insert the code numbers here to pull up the statute.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.