Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My granddaughter is 17 and lives in Colorado,but wants to ...

My granddaughter is 17 and lives in Colorado,but wants to move back to Texas and live with her Mother as she lives with her Father.He has legal custody at this time.My daughter has limited funds at this time.What steps do we need to take to ensure that they can do this.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Since the father has legal custody, the only way the child can move back to mom, would be if mother files for a modification of custody and shows a change in circumstances for why a change in custody is necessary. The child cannot move on her own until the judge grants the change in custody. Again a change in circumstances which are affecting the child's best interests are necessary in order for the mother to petition the court to change custody, otherwise, the father retains legal rights until the child is an adult.

In addition any changes in custody will need to take place in the original state where the orders were issued if one of the parties is still residing there, otherwise a modification case can be heard in the current state where the child is a resident.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator