Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I have gone to the depatment of revenue to try to

Customer Question

I have gone to the depatment of revenue to try to collect child support, but they have been unable to serve him with the documents. Everytime they go to his house they say he doesnt live there, when in reality its just his family covering up for him. The people for the child support agency tell me that they cant proceed on with my case unit he''s been notified and signs the papers. I also tried to get help from a private child support agency but they told me I need a court order so that they can help me. My question is how do I obtain one and what''s the difference if I go through the court rather than the dept. of revenue? What should I do in this case if I know that he''s always gonna be hiding and not sign those papers?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
The only difference between the Department of Revenue and the Court system, is that the state is not involved in the collection of your child support if done through the courts. This means the child support is directly paid to you instead of having to first go through the Department of Revenue. To get the court order, you would still have to serve him with the papers, that is the same anywhere.

In terms of getting him served, he can be served any where he frequents and his place of employment, it does not necessarily have to be at his place of residence. So if you have not tried getting served at work, you can see if the Department of Revenue will help with that or else, you will need to retain a lawyer who can hire a private process server who can devote their time in following this person and get him served. It will cost you money to use a process server, but this is an alternative to get him served the papers.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: could I hire a process server myself instead of going through a lawyer?
Thank you for youre reply.

You will need to contact your local process servers to see if they offer services to self-represented individuals. The answer should be yes, but this can vary in your jurisdiction. A lawyer would only be necessary if you were not able to do the paperwork yourself.

You can also hire the attorney for limited purposes to do the paperwork and to serve and then you handle the rest of the case on your own.