How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115461
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has separated from our marriage and taken our 15 ...

This answer was rated:

My wife has separated from our marriage and taken our 15 year old son with her out of state to live with her ailing father. She does not want to pursue a divorce but anticipates having our son enroll in the local high school when the school season starts. Are there any legal or tax ramifications that she must know about while she is still not a resident of that state, (Oregon) and wanting to enter our son in a school system where we do not pay property taxes or fees?
No, she is a temporary resident of that state and would be allowed to register the child in school. The fact she does not pay any taxes or fees there does not matter. The only thing would be if she earns any money there, she will end up having to file and pay Oregon income taxes. If she doesn't work, then she doesn't have to file anything.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions