Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

in ohio, is their a leagal age when a child can say they ...

in ohio, is their a leagal age when a child can say they want to live with the non-coustodial parent.

Generally speaking child custody/parenting plans can always be modified by the Court based on the best interests of the child. However, grounds for modification must include a change in circumstances that significantly impacts the best interests of the child. Depending on the maturity of the child, a change in a child of twelve's preference may suffice.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Although most judges will give great weight to the preference of a 14 year old and not as much weight to a ten year old's preference, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you. If so, please CLICK ACCEPT. After clicking ACCEPT, feel free to ask an additional question or request a clarification.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for helping me. My 12yr. old daughter has asked to move into her dad's. He lives an hour and a half away. He told me it was because she just wants a better standard of living. I just cannot let her go live an hour and a half away and not be able to be in her everyday life.
Thank you for the complement.