Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

In Texas if you have a protective order against you and ...

In Texas if you have a protective order against you and your soon to be ex wife by means of a voided marriage because she is still married to her third husband when she married me has phones calls that were recorded on an answering machine (i never actually talked to her just to the answering machine) which she and the answering machine are residing in Florida when . I never left any threathing or obusseive messages in fact all the messages were medical related or just trying to talk to her about divorce so as to cut the lawyer bills down. But the fact remains I tried to contact her. Floida is one of the few states that it takes both parties to agree to a conversation over wires to be recorded. 1. By talking to an answering machine does this constitue concent. 2. they had these conversations transcript to use on contempt charges here in texas. Can they legally use them because no where on the transcripts does it give concent by both parties. 3. Need court cases to back up if yes
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
By you leaving a message on the answering machine, it is deemed your consent, you knew it was being recorded. The Florida wiretap law applies only to secret recordings of conversations. The transcript of the conversations can be used if they can prove they are accurate to what was on the tape, which you can challenge if the were not done by a certified transcriptionist and verified as accurate. Unfortunately, they can legally use the tape or the transcript if it is accurate in the violation proceeding against you. Technically, you did violate the protective order by calling, but again, you did not actually speak to her and you can argue that you left a message instead of speaking to her because you believed that leaving a message was not actual contact and not violating the protective order. It is a weak argument, but the judge may buy it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.