N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

IF A CUSTODIAL PARENT LETS THE CHILD LIVE WITH THE NON ...

Customer Question

IF A CUSTODIAL PARENT LETS THE CHILD LIVE WITH THE NON CUSTODIAL PARENT FOR 26 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS, DOES THE CUSTODIAL HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE THE CHILD BACK WHENEVER SHE WANTS?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
I don't know where this is, but if there is a court order for custody that has not been modified the order is still valid.

Does that answer you question?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to N Cal Attorney's Post: I'm in Louisiana and the orginal court order was done in Louisiana. Maybe the question I should have asked is if I were to go to court and try to changed to orginal court order to where I'm the custodial parent, would the fact my son has lived with me 26 consecutive months play in my favor? Also my son is 16 and many people have told me he is old enough to decide where he wants to live and he indeed wants to live with me. If my son can decide where he wants to live, will that change the couyrt order to where I'm now the custodial parent?
It would definitely be a factor the Court would consider.