Anthony, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing Family Law in Northern and Southern California. Former Child Support Attorney.

My wife and I have decided to separate, last week I had to ...

Customer Question

My wife and I have decided to separate, last week I had to call the police to stop her from breaking glass itmes in the house, they escorted her out of the house and to her sister''s house. Now this week she has moved out to her sister''s (5 days now). Today she was over here and has taken my legal papers, bandk and visa statements and court documents pertining to a law suit I am undertaking. along with mani personal itmes. When asked to bring them back she said she will write letters to my whole family and expose me for who I am , blah blah, I am wondering with the situation at hand can I change the locks ( the police have given me an incident report number.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Anthony replied 8 years ago.

I think the best thing to do is to get an immediately order restraining her from returning to the house. Until then, she has the right to go back to the house (I assume you both owned or rented the house together).

So get an order ASAP. Talk to a local family law attorney tomorrow and see what judges in your area need to restrain a party from a family residence.