Anthony, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing Family Law in Northern and Southern California. Former Child Support Attorney.

Currently I live in Oklahoma down the road from my ...

Customer Question

Currently I live in Oklahoma down the road from my soon to be ex-husband, and I want to leave Oklahoma and move back to Arizona he is not comprimising about the custody situation but when he has the kids; they stay at their grandmother''s house because he lives with her and sit and watch tv while he plays on the compputer, I have offered to purchase plan tickets to Arizona when he wanted to see them but he doesn''t want the kids to leave the state. He was removed from the military because of a mental issue what can I do, I feel like I am stuck.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Anthony replied 8 years ago.

I hate to say it, but its time to get a lawyer. Seriously.

A move away case is complicated. If he won't compromise, then its time for a battle. And a battle should include an attorney. He will know how to present the mental issues, or if a psych exam would be helpful.

Sorry I don't have easier advice (or cheaper advice), but I think if you really, really want to move to Arizona you should hire a competent family law attorney.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there anything that you recommend beside the psych exam? What about a private investigator to watch what the kids do while with their father?
Expert:  Anthony replied 8 years ago.

That might be difficult and expensive. Could the PI see inside the house to see what was happening?

I think the PI might be a good idea, but run it by the attorney. He/she will need to develop a game plan, and the PI and the psych exam may be done. He/she may also have a favorite PI and psychologist, so I would wait until you meet with the attorney.

The best way to find an attorney is to ask friends and relatives. With such a high divorce rate in the US, you should be able to find someone who really loved their attorney (or their ex's!)