Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

How much does it typically cost to adopt a child in Iowa

How much does it typically cost to adopt a child in Iowa? My ex husband wants to relinguish his rights to my child and wants my husband now to adopt her.

Generally speaking, step-parent adoption is a fairly streamlined process when you have the consent of the biological father. First, you will need to file a petition that shows evidence that you are married and have the consent of the biological father. Next the court may do a home study of your family, however this step may be waived by the court. Finally there will be a hearing to finalize the adoption.

The forms and procedures will need to be followed completely, My best suggestion is that you try Legal Aid. They can represent you based on your ability to pay.

If you cannot retain an attorney then you can buy the forms on line complete with instructions. I found a site with state specific forms that you can use. Here is the link for Rapid Law: http://www.rapidlaw.net/adoption.html?gclid=COre8fyR3JMCFROTggodNk5BZg

Best of luck with your family.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE