legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

I have sole custody and my ex-husband has visitations ...

I have sole custody and my ex-husband has visitations every second weekend. He is moving roughly 2 hours away on July 1st for personal reasons, not for work-related as he is laid off and expects (demands) me to continue to drive the children to the access visits as is outlined in our court order. He has suggested two alternatives, both involve longer visits with the boys. Am I bound by the court order, meaning his decision to move inconeniences me and my other 4 children or does his decision to move mean he is now responsible for picking up and dropping off the children at the times outlined in the court order??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
If your court order is silent, then the language that requires you to drop off and pick up still is in force. You should petition the court to modify the order due to the substanital change in circumstances with him moving 2 hours away. Then a court can order what is fair as far as who will drive to where to pick up or drop off the children. He may order you to each meet halfway or only give him once a month visitation if you have to make theXXXXXfor drop off and pick up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What does it mean 'if your court order is silent?' I am not familiar with that term and it will certainly help.
I am sorry, what I mean is if the court order did not anticipate him moving so far away and did not state that no matter where he lives you must pick up and drop off, then it is silent as to what happens if he moves 2 hours away and you need a modification to establish there has been a substantial change since the order was issued and a new plan needs to be ordered if you can not come up with one on your own.