How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has 2 children from a previous marriage, ...

Customer Question

My husband has 2 children from a previous marriage, one is 30 the other 34. There was back child support owed. In September 07 my husband was arrested for back support, paid $ 3,600. toward the back support, started paying $100. monthly then we sent a check for the total amount of back support in the amount of $12,000 in March 08. Friday, May 30th, we got a check for $ 15,000 from Family Services in Indiana. We have lived in Alabama for 20 years, and the kids live in Indiana. We are wondering why we got all the money back. Statue of limitations maybe?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, the statute of limitations does not apply to child support arrearages. So, you will need to contact the Department of Child Support Enforcement to find out why they gave you the money back. You will want to ensure that there is not an accounting glitch somewhere, otherwise your husband could be facing more problems in the future.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!


Law Girl and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So our lawyer will have to find out what happened.Does he have to pay the interest, or just the arrears? Is there any possibility for some reason she will not get the money?
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.
On arrears, interest is usually owed also. It is possible that if she is found to be defrauding the State than she may not be entitled to receive the money and the money may be used to pay for benefits that she wrongfully received. It could be possible that the money returned should have been paid to another state.

Related Family Law Questions