How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 y/o son refuses to attend visitation with

Resolved Question:

My 10 y/o son refuses to attend visitation with his father in the state of Florida. I do facilitate and have convinced my son to at least go to lunch with his father upon occasion.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
1) Could you clarify what your question is?

2) Is the father's position still the same as that of 2003 where he stated he would not force the child to visit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Sorry- My question is "Can he force my son to visit him?" If asked my son is able to verbalize why he does not want to visit his father. Earlier this year my ex was arrested for possession of cannabis and the year before for DV. He still lives with the same partner and victim of the DV. He has also been Baker Acted for a suicide attempt and does have a mental health diagnosis I'm sure he is not taking his meds for.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply and clarification.

1) Since there are court orders in place you are unfortunately required to comply with those orders or you face being in contempt of court. Even if he does not want to go, the father can enforce his rights against you by filing the motion for contempt.

2) In Florida there is no specific age where a child is given the legal right to make an adult decision as to whether to discontinue a visit. Only the parents or the court can make such a decision. The law does allow a child to state a preference and articulate their reasons why they do not wish to visit, but such statements are not controlling. The judge would have to review the totality of the circumstances to warrant the suspension of visits with the father or a modification.

It would be upto the judge to allow the minor child to voice their preference at court. In general greater weight is placed on a child who is in his later teens (14 and up). But if your child can articulate a comprehensible reason, then he may be allowed to talk to the judge.

3) With that said, you do have grounds to request a change in visitation. Anytime there is an environment which is exposing the child to a risk of harm, abuse or neglect, that is considered a change in circumstances to petition the court for a modification review hearing. If the court has never been informed about the father's arrest, his Domestic Violence and his current mental status, that would be considered significant to request a review hearing to see if the visitations should be changed or suspended (or at least supervised) for the best interests of the child. This would require petitioning the court for a modification of the current parenting arrangements. From there the child may be able to state his preference for the judge to make the decision. But if no court action is taken, the current court orders stand and father can enforce his rights if you do not comply, regardless if the child refuses.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Attorney & Mediator and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    27+ years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 15 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions

Chat Now With A Family Lawyer
Attorney &amp; Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Family Lawyer
20012 Satisfied Customers
Attorney & Certified Mediator