Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I have a daughter who was taken from me in a custody battle ...

I have a daughter who was taken from me in a custody battle with my ex-boyfriend. There was an emergency injunction and he was granted custody because of drug use. I tested positive for THC. I have always questioned the baby''s paternity because my ex-boyfriend and my bestfriend all slept together around the time I concieved. I signed an affiadavit that my ex-boyfriend was the father. She recieves benefits from social security because my ex-boyfriend is on disability. I still question the paternity. The judge did not order a paternity test because of the affadavit I signed and I agreed that the signature was mine. What can I do to get my baby back?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, if the affidavit was not revoked within 60 days, that document is sufficient to establish paternity, the judge does not have to order paternity testing.

With that said, the judge may issue a paternity test if another male were to challenge paternity, claiming that he was the father. This male would have to petition the court to establish paternity, you can't do it but this other male could. If he turns out to be the father, then this new male would have rights over your child.

As for you, only way to get your baby back, would be to show that you are in rehab and have been clean for some period of time (typically 6 months to one year) for you to petition the courts to address whether you can get custody of your child.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.