Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

We are living in Neb. My husband moved to Michigan and ...

We are living in Neb. My husband moved to Michigan and filed for divorce there. The divorce decree happened in Michigan, but the 2 children and I never moved out of Neb. Later my ex got married and moved to Arizona, when does my child support end and which state do we use for age of majority?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
If Michigan issued the child support orders. Then that law continues to control when child support ends, even if none of the parties continue to reside in that state. In Michigan child support ends at age 18 unless the child is still in high school, then it would extend to age 19 1/2. Support will not extend beyond the age of majority (18) unless both parties agree to be responsible beyond the age of majority.

The issuing state, Michigan would control when support ends and the application of the age of majority would come from the issuing state (Michigan).

Michigan

Termination of support at 18, but may be ordered until 19 1/2 for completion of high school or beyond by agreement

No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Even if neither the children or I ever lived in that state? We have always lived in Neb.
Correct. Even if none of the children or you are living in that state. Since Michigan issued the child support orders, Michigan is considered the issuing state and Michigan law continues to have continuing exclusive jurisdiction as to the application of law. The law of Michigan would be controlling, now in terms of requesting a court hearing that motion can be petitioned in the state where the non-custodial parent resides, but that state would have to use the laws of Michigan to address the legalities of when child support ends and the age of majority as those terms are considered "non-modifiable aspects" of a child support, meaning such terms cannot change even if another state is hearing the case.