How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115463
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced for 8 years and have not missed any ...

Resolved Question:

I have been divorced for 8 years and have not missed any child support payments.At the first of our seperation it was very difficult to pay alimony so as my monthly income decreased the ailmony owing increased.My ex and i both agreed to opt out of FRO and we agreed that i pay her $730.00 a month for 1 child its been like that for 5 years, also she agreed to forfeit the money owing and that any inhertaince that i recieve i would split it with her.Now she wants me to pay for our son''s university she is working fulltime and my son has a summer job i advised her for my son to apply for Government assistance.There is nothing written in my final divorce papers or separation papers.Thanks David Messina RN
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Child support typically ends when child turns 18 or if fhere are special circumstances such as illness or full time student. Your support order should specify the age. If it does not, unfortunately, if your wife pushes the issue, the court could continue the support as long as your son was a full time student.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: I am not arguing about the child support i know it stops after my son recieves his degree. My question was does she have the right to ask for extra money for post education when it is not indicated..Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
When he is done with his education he should be well past the age where support is required, she will have a difficult time getting the support extended beyond his educational period and I do not believe it is even possible unless he is severely disabled and required continuous care from her, which I do not see as the case in your description.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Paul
I don't disagree with my support payments or duration my complaint with my ex wife is her demands that i have to give her money for my son, money which i don't have i am re married and have new responsibilties..Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I understood that, but unless the court orders that you can pay the money directly to your son, then that is where the money has to go. Many parents I deal with have this same contention when children get older and the courts vary widely on whether or not the payments to the custodial parent can stop and the money for support be given directly to the child.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Paul
I feel that since she has always was getting support and still is and its not indicated in our divorce decree that post education has to be paid why should i. Another idea do you think a token amount would make things easier she was asking for $ 2000.00 i told her i didn't have that kind of money, but i could scrape together aprrox. $ 900.00 before September.Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If she is willing to take the lesser amount, then get her to accept it in writing, that is one way out. Again, you could always go back to court and get the court to settle the dispute based upon your evidence that she is no longer in need of support because your son is in college and you will support him directly.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions