Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

18 year old son in speical ed will be going to college

Customer Question

18 year old son in speical ed will be going to college for vocational training. Im divorced and what to know is his father still responcable for child support? Because, he is still going to school.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
It all depends on the contents of your support agreement. Typically, the obligation for child support terminates when the child reaches 18. You could in fact go back to court and seek to get the support agreement amended, but it is not a guarantee, since 18 is generally the cut off age.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I wish I had the money to go to court. Like you said there is no guarantee.
You do not need money to go to court. Contact your state's legal aid group or your state's bar association and they will provide you with a pro bono (free) or affordable attorney to you. If you need the help, go to court and ask for it and you can get an attorney to help you with it.