RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

We have a 16 year old daughter who thinks and does anything ...

Customer Question

We have a 16 year old daughter who thinks and does anything she wants she will be 17 in 24 days. What legal rights do we have to control the situation or get her out.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Your only other option here would be to file and try to emanciapte her here. Otherwise you stil have control over her actions and liability for her as well. She is old enough that you could try and file for emanciaption here.

In general you would have to convince the court that she is self sufficient and through with school. At any rate the web apge below has the actual Florida statute to give you more research into the matter here and to help you understand whether this is a valid option.

You might need to obtain a lawyer to file and represent you here in an emanciaption action. I can cetainly sympathize with your situation here. If she runs away here you report her as a runaway to protect yourself from libility in this situation. Good luck to you here..

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What I really need to know are what are the parents rights, to protect us from an out of control child who disappears for days at a time and will not listen to us at all.
It's a tough age for the parents. If she is a runaway report her to the police. If she is truant turn her in for that too. You obviously have the right to discipline her. It's hard here, the law doesn' t really deal with them well either, that's why they hold the parent's liable. There is no magic way here. You can certainly try and emanciapte here too here. ..