RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My ex-wife and I have twin girls who are now 18 years old.

My ex-wife and I have twin girls who are now 18 years old. I have been paying child support all along. A court order has been in place that she was not to leave the state of MA without my agreement and or the courts permissions. She has done so. First to CT and now to VA. Each time she has filled for welfare in each state. Not telling them she has been receiving child support from the state of MA, which has been deducted directly from my pay check. Approximately two months ago I as well as my employer received a letter from the state of MA stating I am no longer obligated to pay child support. So the payroll deductions stopped. Yesterday 5/31/08 I get a letter from the state of VA stating that I am $2,400 in arrears in child support. What am I to do?
Thanks for your question. It may be that they set the matter for support in Virginia and there is an arrear age. It is possible that it is an error. The burden will be in you here to communicate with these guys. Even if you call I would follow it up with a letter sent certified mail. You should send the letters that you do have from MA that shows no support owed.

I can certianly sympathize with your situation. It appears that there has been an error made here. I do know that you have the burden to clean this up so don't quit trying. They can mess with your IRS taxes, your credit, etc. They can also have your license suspended so don't take this lightly. Stay after them and I wish you good luck here.

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.