RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

child custody

Customer Question

I am in the USAF and I have a deceased brother who has a 11 year old daughter who''s mom would like for me to have legal custody of. Me and my ex sister in law have both agreed this arrangement would be best for my niece. How do we go about making my niece my legal dependent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You would have to file a petition for custody in Indiana here. The mother would sign a consent to custody here. You may need a lawyer to prepare the petition and the consent for the mother to sign.

You would then appear in front of a judge for a short hearing. This is akin to an uncontested divorce. You just go over your petitonf ro the record and the judge signs the orders giving you custody here. This way you ar eprotected if mom one day wants to change her mind and come get the child you will have legal rights here. Good luck to you here..

Here is the Indiana State Bar Lawyer Referral Service

http://www.indybar.org/referral.cfm

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks alot, I really appreciated your help.
You're welcome and good luck hee..