How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Sir or Mam here is my i have been rasing a child for ...

Resolved Question:

Hi Sir or Mam here is my ? i have been rasing a child for the last 8yrs her mom chose not to see her for the most part. now after 7yrs and 18months in jail she is starting to get involed a little. we have talked over the years and never made a big deal about it but the child is not mine. after the first yr my child was born my x left and i have been rasining the child since then. im looking to get a DNA test to prove the child is not mine. after that im looking to take her mother to court and turn over all rights to the mom. it i not my child and i should not have to raise. now her mom is acting like adult i wise to move on with my life. what is the cost i would possible be looking at to do this. understand i dont wish to have any financial or personal involvement with the family or child. thanks you for your time D
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Did you ever sign your name on the birth certificate for this child?

When you been she is your "x" do you mean she is an ex-girlfriend or ex-wife? If she was your wife, was the child born during the marriage?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: x was my wife and all i have is a copy of the certificate of live birth which my x-wife signed not me i dont belive this is the same. here is one more thing when my x went to jail all her court info uses her maided name not her married i thing she used a fake id on our original merrage records should i due something about that has well. and yse the child was born during during the marrage.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1) The husband is considered the father of all children who are conceived during the marriage. Since you were married when this child was born, you are considered the father. The court may deny any petitions to challenge paternity since seven years have passed and you have been taking care of this child. Even if the court ordered paternity testing, it is possible that you will still be treated a the father and can be ordered to be financially responsible for this child. The court will not easily remove you from that parental responsibility unless the biological father comes forward to challenge paternity, or there is a step-parent adoption where you voluntarily relinquish parental rights. For all legal purposes your name will remain on the birth certificate as the father and you will unfortunately be ordered to pay child support if she requests it.

2) As to the fake ID, since the marriage is now dissolved there is nothing you can do about the fake ID. If she was an adult when she got married, the marriage would still be valid and the divorce as well. In general a fake ID is considered a misdemeanor offense and she would have had to been charged with this offense within one year that she committed the offense. Since you are not even sure that she actually used a fake ID, the police would not be able to charge her with anything.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Attorney & Mediator and 10 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    27+ years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 15 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions

Chat Now With A Family Lawyer
Attorney &amp; Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Family Lawyer
20012 Satisfied Customers
Attorney & Certified Mediator