AlmostFreeLegal
AlmostFreeLegal, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 20 years of experience and several legal publication credits.
10007051

hi! my fiance living in canada who has been physically ...

Customer Question

hi! my fiance living in canada who has been physically separated from his wife for 3 years will just file for divorce anytime soon. my question is, can he re-marry even with a pending divorce application? they migrated to canada 1990''s with a status of being married. and marriage took place in the philippines.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlmostFreeLegal replied 8 years ago.
Your fiance cannot get married to anyone until he divorces his current wife first. If he marries you while he is already married to someone else, the new marriage is void (meaning, from a legal standpoint it doesn't exist) and he is committing a criminal offense called bigamy. Do not attempt to marry him until he has legally divorced his current wife first. Starting the process is not enough; he needs a final court order making the divorce final. Make sure you have a copy of the final decree of divorce in your hands, and then you can start making your wedding plans.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you so much